Saturday, October 20, 2007

Dolphins and tuna

It's day 3 at sea and we are still steaming to our first research station. The seas are still a bit rough and it continues to rain. In spite of the foul weather, many of us have been fortunate to spot yellowfin tuna jumping and dolphins leaping alongside. A couple of manta (devil) rays have also been spotted leaping from the surface. The crew is feeding us well and remind us that it is Saturday with steak night tonight! We are all also excited about plans for squid jigging tonight, which will be used for research projects back in the lab.

2 comments:

Nathalie said...

I have been following your posting and as I sat here on a chilled Mid-western morning I found they warmed my body as well as my soul. I could almost feel the warm water and ocean breezes. I know the breezes have been less than exciting for those of you experiencing them and I hope they diminish before everyone is green.

After reading your afternoon posting, I have two questions. My first question is, what is "squid jigging"? My second one is, how will this be used/useful for research projects in the lab?

The Eastern Tropical Pacific Project said...

Thanks for your comment! Squid jigging is a way of 'fishing' for squid. We use bright lights aimed at the sea surface which attracts the squid, and then use squid jigs - a baitless lure consisting of upturned hooks and a glow-in-the-dark light, which further attracts and subsequently catches the squid, which mistake it for food.
The squid are used in physiological studies focusing on their respiration demands. The scientists study the oxygen levels in the blood and how the animals react to differing levels of oxygen and other gases.
Say hi to autumn for us!